I love watching professional athletes compete. The best ones, the most exciting ones, have a crazy strong desire to win.
You could argue that they all do at that level of play. But there is still only ONE team who will win. And so it comes down to who wants it more.
Take two quarterbacks for example.
One has an overall skill level of 8 out of 10. But his desire to win is 10 out of 10.
The other has a 10 out of 10 skill level but only an 8 out of 10 “drive.”
So who wins?
My money would be on the less skilled player with higher achievement drive.
That’s because the player with a higher achievement drive brings a level of intensity that the other lacks.
He’ll work harder than the one with natural born talent and find creative ways to get the win. We’ve all seen examples of this.
The Role Achievement Drive Plays in Sales
Now let’s talk about the game you and I are playing today. The game of business.
And let’s talk for a moment about the role achievement drive plays in your ability to make sales.
First, I want you to think about your sales goal for this month. How much do you want to bring in?
Now, how much more do you have to go until you hit that goal?
My goal for January is to collect $10,000 net revenue in my business (there will be a day when I add another zero to that goal, but this is where I’m at today).
So I want to collect $10,000. According to my scoreboard I have $4,555 to go.
What about you? Do the math and write down how much more you have to go.
Now, look at the calendar. How many working days do you have left this month? I have 14.
OK, so now you know the score and how much time is left in the game you’re playing.
Now here comes the most important part of this exercise, the part that will help you stir up your achievement drive.
But first, let me ask you a question – and be honest when you answer it:
Do you believe you can win? Can you hit your sales goal?
If you said “yes” then here’s what I want you to do:
Write down five reasons why you will win.
When you do this you are reinforcing in your spirit, mind and body why you will win.
You are reminding yourself that you are a winner. When you do this you unlock something that will enable you to bring your intensity level up a notch.
For example, I know I’ll win because:
1) I have experience: I have over 10 years of professional sales experience (more than that if you count my “unprofessional” experience during middle and high school). But I’m just counting the years I’ve worked either as an insurance agent or as a freelance copywriter/consultant.
2) My service is top-notch: I offer a great service. I sell PR and marketing services to financial service professionals (insurance agents, financial advisors and fintech companies). Whether the client wants to get featured in a top-tier publication like Forbes, Entrepreneur or Inc. we can do it! Or if they want to exchange their crappy “online brochure” website for a direct response website that produces qualified leads consistently, we can do it. I know we offer a great product.
3) I’m focused: The third reason why I’ll succeed is because I’ve made sales my #1 priority this month. This means activities like prospecting and sales calls are things I will focus on primarily. My best time and energy is devoted to these revenue-generating activities.
4) I have great partners: I have three main partnerships: one partner is exceptional at PR (she’s one of the most sought-after publicists in the industry). My second partner is a genius at digital marketing services, mainly high-end websites and sales and marketing automation systems. And the third is one of the best in the world at managing paid ads (AdWords, Facebook Ads, etc.).
5) I have faith: Another reason I know I’ll win is because I know I’ll win! I understand the role faith plays in life. Just like in sports, if you think you can win, you’ll win. You’ll find a way to come out ahead. I’m a Christian so my faith isn’t based on my skills or experience – those two things give me confidence too – but ultimately my faith is based on God’s ability. It’s His favor I enjoy in the marketplace. And I believe His Word that says that when I pray in faith I will have for what I ask for.
So there you go! Those are the five reason why I believe I’ll win the game of business this month and hit my sales goals. What about you? What are your five reasons?